Domain Access redux
I'm working to convert a fairly complex site from Drupal 5 to Drupal 6 (just in time for Drupal 7). It uses Domain Access extensively, so that had to stay. I also wanted to increase performance a lot as part of the move, so I decided to try out Boost, since the vast majority of the visitors are anonymous.
Configuring Boost and DA
It used to be that Boost and DA didn't play well together, but some of the newer changes can make it work with proper configuration. These are right from Boost's README:
For the (i18n) and the (Domain) modules:
[x] Do not store the cache file path in the database
[x] Flush all sites caches in this database (singe db, multi-site)
[ ] Only allow ASCII characters in path
Another thing to do is create the cache directories for each domain. Boost seemed to create the needed directories in /perm, but I had to create them in /normal. Until they were created, caches could not be generated.
I found this Domain Redirect contributed module helpful for my setup. Instead of throwing access denied errors when someone tries to access content from a domain it is not published to, it bounces them to a domain where it is. The bounces can be weighted.
Conflict with Custom Error
It looks like Custom Error has a conflict with DA that ends up in a redirect loop. I haven't dug deeper since in the new site structure Custom Error isn't as important.